BYYB Forums

Full Version: Another new builder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Mark_Benbow

Hello all, just figured I'd finally introduce myself as I've been lurking on your boards for quite a while now. I'm another canadian whos building a mini-cup (before moving onto a vacationer hopefully). Just thought I'd say hi and thank all you enthusiastic people for your info and tips that I've already stolen to use myself.

The mini hasn't been named yet and is on a temporary hold (funding but the hull is done just needs floatation and a deck pretty much. The luan for the deck is due in at the end of the week but the floatation I want to use is going to cost me a bit so that will have to wait. I have a few pics up on a new website (needs alot of work yet) and I am using free webspace so have your pop-up blocker enabled!!! you can find it at http://www.marksfamily.150m.com at some point in the future I'll pay to get rid of the ads but for now I need the money for my boat. Smile
Welcome Mark
are you related to Stuart.
Awesome. Welcome.
What part of the wild rose province do you live? Mini cup should be a good boat to hone your building and sailing skills.

Greg
Welcome aboard Mark,I look forward to seeing Your progress.

Brian.
Mark:

On my MiniCup I skipped the floatation foam. That boat has sealed chambers and if you're at the point where you need the floatation, you're boat's probably in pieces and you've got bigger problems ;-)

AndrewB

Mark_Benbow

As far as I know I'm not related to stuart but our last names aren't that common so it is possible.

I live in the southeast corner of alberta Medicine Hat to be exact. and unfortunately the closest lake with a sailing club on it is just over an hours drive away in Brooks called lake Newell.

As far as floatation the plan was for this boat to built to help my extended family to learn the basics of sailing, which means alot of flipping over probably! We did make sure to use the strongest glue available to help the boat stay in one piece, altho were still not sure what to make mast and booms out of the pvc pipe in the plans will probably do for the short term but it'll make the boat ugly as hell so we'll be opting for a wooden set up or possibly even spring the $400 or so canadian for the aluminium.
Welcome aboard Mark, we're glad you decide to build and join us here on the BYYB. I looked at your site and you're moving along quickly on your boat. It's nice to see you working with your brother on it as well. I built a Vacationer and I love it as I'm sure you will to after you get your little one built. Keep us posted on your project and try to get together with builders in your area for a sail. If there are none close by then show others your boat and send them to the website. Soon you could have a new fleet sailing.

Keith

James Sanders

Ahoy Mark,

Welcome aboard! It's always good to have another builder posting comments (and maybe photos) on the board.

Mark_Benbow

I figured I'd post a couple pics of the current progress but I can't get the damn thing to take the images off my site. so heres a couple links

www.marksfamily.150m.com/boatbuilding/pic15/

www.marksfamily.150m.com/boatbuilding/pic13/
Pages: 1 2