BYYB Forums

Full Version: Paint and mast questions.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Dustin Newkirk

Well, Luna is coming along nicely, and I'm not to the point where I need to paint, or put a mast on her. I want to go ahead and start thinking ahead though, so I don't have to wait long when I do get to those points.

She's got the bulkhead and mastbox attached to her now, and soon the bow frame, which I put together yesterday.

What kind of paint should I go for? She'll be glassed on the hull. Is there a paint I can use just pretty much on everything(glass and bare wood)? What's a good primer?

I've seen some discussion about the marine paints, and I've been looking at the interlux.

On to the mast.. I'd love to have a wooden mast instead of chain link fence pole. I have rough ideas of clamping and epoxying some of that white oak I have left over ( a LOT left over). Or going and buying something else that's more in one peice form. Do you need to round the mast off? I remember seeing in the weekender video that the mast was square, at least near the bottom.

Anyone have any good links for various boat hardware? Ropes, cleats, rigging stuff, etc.

Thanks for your help!
Hi Dustin,
I used Ace Hardware's version of Rustolieum, I believe they call it Rust Stop. It's a very good oil base paint in a variety of colors. It has a very hard finish when it dries and lasts a long time. Latex paints tend to have a soft finish and are not as well suited to the harsh environment that these boats are subjected to. That's my opinion anyway. Good luck on your build.
I would probably not use the white oak for the mast, just for weight reasons. And not for racing or speed, but to keep the wrestling match fair. :lol: White oak is quite heavy. Sitka spruce or Douglas fir would be a lighter choice. I believe some have used Southern Yellow Pine, as well.

Most weekenders I have seen have square masts with rounded edges. I built a round spar using the bird's mouth technique from douglas fir for both the Weekender and the Mini Cup, and I am quite happy with them. However, I opted for a lighter windsurfer mast for the Mini Cup afterwards. See Frank Hagan's page for instructions on the bird's mouth method. It can be scaled down to Mini Cup diameter.

Go with Steve's paint tips, his finish worked better than mine :oops:
Go with the interlux, it's made for the water and won't cost all that much for what you'll be needing. Use their primer as well but don't worry about buying their special thinner 216 its just xylene that you can get at home depot for a lot less money. Go to boatersland.com and check out their prices. I've bought several items from them and they've treated me right each time. You can glue up a good looking 2x4 for your mast, it's light and when laminated will be plenty strong.

Keith

Dustin Newkirk

Thanks guys,

On the interlux primer, one that is made for sticking to glass, will it go on just fine on bare wood as well?

Is any primer needed with the Rust Stop?

Wow, that bird's mouth method looks complicated. Confusedhock: Is that supposed to be for the entire length of the mast?

I guess I'm still clueless when it comes to the mast, so would laminating good 2x4's and trimming them down yield a good strong 14' mast?

Dustin
A solid mast made from lighter, strong wood would do just fine. The bird's mouth mast is not that difficult, although it does need to be thought through. :wink: I used hose clamps to hold it together, I think Bud used his old bike tire tubes.... Tongue
I made my birdsmouth mast from cedar. Very light but strong.
My tops'l sprit is birdsmouth fir. 1.2 x 72" and weighs nothing. Give it a try.... 8)
Dustin I like the interlux and there primer. I use a coat of epoxy on the raw wood first then paint, don't paint first . Epoxy, prime paint. I would go ahead and build a solid mast for the mini. I wouldnt use the oak, Save it there is another boat in your future. When you get ready for the bird mouth, I have the instructions for cutting it from Lee Vally tools and I also have Franks if I can find them. anyway you can get them from him on messingabout.com When you get ready. I have the bird-mouth joinery bit for the 8 sided bird-mouth that will lay up at around 4" I also have a router table. I will loan you the whole mess or help you make a mess which ever turns your crank. Get the mini in the water first the bird-mouth is a winter project. Bud. Smile