BYYB Forums

Full Version: BEER 2007 Cruise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
BEER Cruise 2007

Their Story:

Friday, June 8
Arrive at Pensacola Shipyard Marina to rig and launch. Assistance will be around should anyone need help. Once in the water, you will be directed to the best place available to tie up for the evening. PSMC has been great in working with us in the past, for a fee of around $50, you get to rig and launch at a first class ramp, park your tow vehicle and trailer for the duration of the cruise, and have use of the grounds and bath house. For those wanting to come in early or stay a few days after the cruise, the Shipyard will offer the continued use of their facility for $10 a day.
Cajun is putting the menu together, something to the tune of Pork Jambalaya, and the cost of the meal should be around $5.00 per person, and you will be completely stuffed when it's all over and done with. If anyone would like to bring a musical instrument, there will be ample time for some pickin' and grinnin, socializing, lying about how fast your boat will go, and so forth.

Saturday, June 9
We will be departing PSMC around mid morning and head East in the ICW for about 28 miles. When we reach the Navarre Bridge, turn right and stay between the PVC poles. We will be staying in the anchorage at Juanas Pagada's, with a social gathering at Juana's. There are several restaurants in the area for folks wanting to get off their boats and dine out.
Pay a visit to Juana's web site, the link is below, and take a look at the photographs of their roof rebuild. It was an incredible amount of work to get this great place back in operation, and built much better than before.
http://www.juanaspagodas.com/index.htm
Distance Sailed - 28 Miles

[Image: navbeach.jpg]

Sunday, June 10
Today, we rise and shine from the previous night's festive activities. We will be heading back West along the ICW and stop at the ever popular Quietwater Beach Anchorage. This stop has always be a favorite for the crowd. A few more restaurants have opened up, along with some additional souvenir shops. If the weather starts to turn bad, there is a secluded anchorage just west of the Bob Sykes Bridge, Little Sabine.
Distance Sailed - 18 Miles
[Image: pebebrdw.jpg]

Monday, June 11
Time to leave the party atmosphere of Quietwater Beach and head West along the ICW. We will be going to the Sand Island anchorage. One thing different we are going to try this year, since the cut to the Gulf is still open behind Sand Island, we will be dropping anchor further west in the anchorage which will reduce some of the rip roaring currents we experienced last year. Tonight we will cook out on our boats, drag a lawn chair to the beach, and have a quiet evening with the group.
Distance Sailed - 13.5 Miles
[Image: pebesais.jpg]

Tuesday, June 12
It's now official, The Blue Angels Navy flight demonstration team will have a practice show Tuesday morning, at least weather permitting. They will get started at 8:30, and the practice last for about an hour. A prime spot to view the show is on top of what is left of the sand pile. After that, it's time to pull up anchor and head back to PSMC, for it's time for this year's B.E.E.R. Cruise to come to an end.
Distance Sailed - 11 Miles

My Story:

Tuesday, June 5
Left Phoenix early morning arrived at Pensacola ship yard by cab about 20 min ahead of Scott, helped rig boat, got boat in water

[Image: 550521109_0af69f3342_m.jpg]

Wednesday, June 6
Sailed into the bay, went to sand bar and played in the beautiful water with no one in sight.

[Image: 550336952_4581ed7da3_m.jpg]

[Image: 550322562_1ce4e41aa1_m.jpg]

[Image: 550527667_d98a5d1d17_m.jpg]

We then drove to the Oar House and had dinner. Later that night after a few drinks Scott and I sailed out into Chico Bay in his small purple boat named Plum Crazy and then back to the Oar House in the dark without any lights and back.

[Image: 550352128_6c7a92a484_m.jpg]

Thursday, June 7
Dan arrived, and after a while we motored out into Pensacola bay with plans on visiting Fort Pickens however the waves were large and did not bode well with the hangovers so we returned and assisted others with their boats including Graig Gleason’s pirate boat Sara Lee and Jim Stumph and daughter Megan with his new boat Primrose. We again went to the Oar House for dinner with several others who Scott knew from his boat club. I was happy to pick up the tab. Later that night as Scott was hanging out with everyone Dan started to get board and wanted to go out for some drinks, Scott gave up the keys to his wife’s minivan to Dan and off we went again to the Oar House. After a few hours I called Scott to advise him that there was an issue with the van, after a moment of hesitation he asked what? I told him that when you hit the window cleaner it just shot over the roof, not cleaning the window. Scott was on his way again on Plum Crazy, this time with Graig, acting as auxiliary propulsion. They soon arrived and we proceeded to have even a few more drinks, then we finally left and hit the rack.

Friday, June 8
This morning we all got in the van and went to Pensicola Beach on the Gulf side where we relaxed and swam in the ocean with another of Scott’s friends Andy. With everyone pretty much in place and ready to get going the next morning there was a large party at the marina with free beer and a wonderful dinner put together by the coordinator of the event Cajun Joe of pork jambalaya. After a while it was time to go to bed again

Saturday, June 9 Depart PSMC Arrive @ Navarre Beach
Initially Dan was to go on Sara Lee with Graig, but he could not get his lazy butt out of the berth and I had been up for a few hours, so Graig told me to hop on board, we were leaving; and leave we did after a successful un-docking and motoring out into the main bay. Once in the main bay Graig decided he wanted more than just the jib and main up so he raised the top sail. This looked really great, but Graig was still not happy, he stated that he wanted every rag he had up and since the winds were light he hoisted the Yankee, another jib, but in front of the main jib. Now flying every stitch of cloth and looking very pirate, Scott and Dan aboard sabbatical came along side us and Graig decided that he wanted to board their vessel while at sea and underway. Scott came along side and Graig told me to hold her steady; as he jumped onto Sabbatical his final words were “you have the boat” leaving me to single hand the pirate ship. Graig was on Scotts boat for a while taking pictures of his fine vessel which he could not get while on board and after a while decided it was time to get back to his ship so once again came along side and came back on board. He left me at the wheel while he enjoyed being captain and doing what captains do which is bark orders. After a while the wind began to pick up a bit and soon enough with a crack and bang, down came the top-mast and along with it the topsail and Yankee. Immediately jumping into action I was ordered to point her into the wind and keep her there as Graig went forward to clear the wreckage before the sails in the water tipped the boat over. Once the wreckage was cleared as best as possible and returning to the cockpit, I looked at him and asked if I had caused that to happen? Graig’s response was “no, I was just sitting here like cargo not paying any attention to the wind; I should have pulled down the rags as soon as the wind picked up.” A few miles down the channel we noticed some dark thunder heads forming and soon enough saw lightning and heard the thunder. We radioed some boats in front of us and asked how the weather was doing; the answer we got was not good. There was a storm front moving in and fast. As soon as the first rain drops hit the deck we put out the anchor and rode the storm out, which became Graig’s new story for the wreckage which goes something like this:

“As the two intrepid sailors were sailing the main; the storm of the century quickly came down upon them. In the jaws of the tempest with lightning on the right, thunder on the left, suddenly their vessel was struck by Zeus’s fury right on the tip of the mast, shuddering the fine vessel as the shock of the bolt went through her which caused the wreckage you see before you.”

[Image: 550565589_8509dca5bd_m.jpg]

He told this to the boat anchored near us and by the time we reached shore the story had spread like wild fire and everyone on the beach as well as those coming in knew of the lightning strike which did not happen. As we were lowering the mast to clear the damage more everyone came up and asked if we were alright and how does a wood boat get struck and the like. After refitting at sea and getting the ship ready to fight another day we settled down to enjoy the rest of the day. I proceeded quickly to Juan’s pagoda [Image: 550361744_dee32bea5e_m.jpg]and proceeded to begin drinking some pina coladas and soon was playing some volleyball with complete strangers some of which provided endless hours of entertainment.

[Image: 550362442_2499d7fcba_m.jpg]

[Image: 550357014_68c90e652c_m.jpg]

Sunday, June 10 Depart Navarre Beach Arrive at Quickwater
Today I sailed with Scott, enjoying the comfort of the bimini. With a beautiful days sail on the same tack all day we quickly reached our destination well ahead of everyone else, without knowing exactly where to go we took our best guess and we were right. We took lunch at a nearby restaurant named Flounders and then walked around to a few of the local bars. Later that night we again went to Flounders for dinner with many of the same group from two nights ago, the restaurant was very wise and placed Scott and his group at one table and Dan, Graig, me and another pirate at a separate table. This time we got to sit inside even though we did not have our blue blazers on. Our tables quickly ordered up glasses of diesel fuel libations and were quickly done with our meal before the more elite table of actual yachtsmen and women which Scott was at, so off we went to find a more redneck bar. The first one we came to Graig made quick friends with one of the bouncers who joined us for a while, but the bar was not redneck enough for Graig so we went in search of another across the street which was just beginning to close so I asked a patron who was leaving where we should go who suggested a place up the road. I asked him to give us a ride and we all loaded into his jeep, we were at this bar for a drink and then had him drive us back to the boats where he joined us on Sara Lee until around two when we went to bed.

Monday, June 11
Today I sailed again with Graig, leaving earlier than Scott and Dan who had gone off to breakfast and were no where to be found after I had returned to the boat with provisions of beer and ice. I asked some of our neighbors to tell Scott that I had left however he did not get the message and was waiting for me until he finally decided that I was an adult and could take care of myself, or if I wasn’t there, he was leaving me marooned. Graig and I were off into a breezeless morning, after deciding to put up the sails which remained useless the iron jib was turned on and we were motor sailing. Around noon Graig decided that he wanted to raid Fort Pickens so we beached the boat and proceeded to explore the remains of this civil war fort. After our raid we again were off, anchoring at our destination a few hours later. Scott and Dan finally came in and anchored and after a brief lecture on letting them know that I had left I was forgiven because I had provisioned them well. This is an island created by the dredge from the channel, so there is NOTHING on this island, Scott, Dan and I enjoyed a dinner of ravioli and beef stew then went talking and socializing. Upon my adventures I noticed one boat with a grill on the taff rail with the chef flipping burgers, I asked how many he had flipped into the drink, my comment was misunderstood to I wanted a drink. Cajun Joe told me I could go onto his red boat three boats down and help myself. As I was leaving the boat with a freshly opened Corona a couple approaching from the water asked “what are you doing Dude?” to which I replied getting a beer, they told me it was their boat and were understandably upset with me for plundering their booty. I quickly dropped a dime on Joe explaining the situation and then they settled down, however I still felt like a complete ASS.

[Image: 550616281_64236a1b2b_m.jpg]
fleet at anchor

[Image: 550396018_1ccd2c5552_m.jpg]

Tuesday, June 12 Depart Sandy Beach arrive PSMC
Today all three of us were on Sabbatical and got an early start on the way back to the marina. The blue angels were indeed practicing and we had many wonderful views of them right overhead. It looked as though they were using the boat as their mark for when to start turns. We got back to the marina and began the arduous task of getting the boat on the trailer and tearing it all apart. The day was very hot and I could not wait for a shower to get cleaned up and some of my clothes put into the dryer for slip renters. Then off to the airport for my flight home, thus ending the Beer cruise of 2007.

you can view the entire photo album at http://www.flickr.com/photos/8932672@N03/
Sounds like quite the adventure. After 5 days, Bill still doesn't know your name Craig (or was that your alter ego). :lol: :lol: Hmmm, lizards, hunh? Glad you guys had a great time, thanks for sharing (Oh, the next barbill is on that guy, Greg :!: )