BYYB Forums

Full Version: New to boat building...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

Richard_Creel

Greetings,

I'm a new member here and thought I would say Hi! I've done a bit of woodworking, but never a boat. I'm thinking about building a Mini-Cup to get started and plan to build one of the larger boats later. I'm looking seriously at the Pocket Cruiser.

A couple of questions, has any one build a PC with a higher roof on the cabin for more space? And, has any one build one with a bow more like the Weekender/Vacationer? Would there be any problem modifying it that way? I like the PC for its size and I really like the looks of the Weekender.

Mike Routley

Welcome Richard
Nice to see someone else interested in building a PC. I am just finishing up the cabin and getting ready to flip her over and glass the hull.

I raised my cabin roof by about three inches. If you read this forum much, you will see a fellow named Barry Pyatt has made several posts. Barry is a great guy and a tremendous source of information. One of the things he told me was to be careful raiseing the cabin roof too much. You need to be able to see over the cabin while sitting in the cockpit. Big Grin As for the Weekender bow, I don't know, sounds like a good idea to me. Ask Mike Stevenson.

This is a great forum with lots of really nice folks ready to give you any help you need. Go forth and make sawdust Big Grin
Welcome Aboard Richard. I think you will be very pleased with a P/C, A word of caution, be careful about raising the roof much the more you raise it the more like a tug boat they look. Ed Jones can give you some info on raising the roof. he raised his. The P/C is a Big little boat with a lot more room in the cockpit and cabin than the weekender. It is a much easier boat to trailor set up get in and out of the water than the Vacationer. I don't think I would change the frount end design, I think it might mess up the way it sails. I'm sure Paul will Post on the design subject and he has a lot more wisdom on design than me. Bud Smile
Mike Rantly Glad to read tha you are coming along so well on your P/C. Your going to love her when you get her finisshed Smile Bud

James Sanders

Ahoy Richard,

Welcome aboard. Several of the folks have built modified Pocket Cruiser. You may want to take a look at Tony Day's fine boat. One of the nice features of these designs is the flexibility and change. Bud Wilson also has a nice boat. (He's too modest to brag on himself, so we'll have to do it for him.)

Good luck on your boatbuilding!
There's also a few MiniCup builders here too if you have questions on that project.

[Image: NER1.jpg]

Richard_Creel

Ahoy all,

You make a person feel welcome! Big Grin

Do you have links to photos of the boats you've mentioned? I would really like to see them.

As to modifying the bow, I may have misspoken a bit. I just meant modifying the stem a bit and add trailboards to look more like the Weekender, not the overall shape of the boats bow. If I could find some drawings of the boats from the side, I could mock up what I mean. Does any one know if there are simple line drawings of these boats from the side available anywhere?

Richard_Creel

Quote:There's also a few MiniCup builders here too if you have questions on that project.

[Image: NER1.jpg]

Thanks Andrew, I'm sure I will have questions there as well.

As a matter of fact, in looking at the plans for the Mini-Cup, I was wondering something. Has any one ever built the Mini-Cup using stitch-and-glue techniques for the hull rather than using the stringers? I know that it is used quite alot these days for canoes and other small boats of this size.

Thanks,
Welcome Aboard Richard,
Sorry it took so long to post, been having multiple brain farts trying to figure out my cabin stringers, but thanks to Craig I'm in the clear.
This board is a frendly port with some fantastic People, who have alot of combined experience, and are gracious enough to share it.
I havent built the Minicup, or the Pocket cruser but if I can offer any advise just ask. I do plan on building a minicup in the future, Backwards I know but hey thats Me Big Grin
Brian.

Dustin Newkirk

You finish that Mini Cup up and we'll do some racing very soon. Wink

I've just started cutting for my wing dinghy a few hours back.
Pages: 1 2 3