BYYB Forums

Full Version: Summer Sailstice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This years summer sailstice is the weekend of June 23 and 24. if you are not familiar with the event it is a global holiday celebrating sailing held annually on the summer solstice and the weekend closest to it, the longest sailing days of the year. This international event was founded to connect the global sailing community in a fun, creative, multifaceted, multi-location sailing holiday.

Its easy to participate in Summer Sailstice and its free! Just sign up here and go sailing. Summer Sailstice participants who register at http://www.summersailstice.com/index.php automatically become eligible to win over 200 prizes from our sponsors, from yacht charters to sailboats to gift certificates from top sailing retailers.

the online community at SummerSailstice.com allows you to quickly find others to join your crew for a raft up at a favorite sailing destination or create a sailboat party out on the water to celebrate the beginning of the summer sailing season ahead. No rules, no fees, no start time and no excuses not to go out and have fun!

Lets get an event planned for this weekend so that we can get in on some of the loot and booty up for grabs... How does Walker lake sound for this one?
I was thinking Walker later on in the year, maybe October. That would be a good time for Yuba Lake. As you recall Yuba is where we went last year for the Sailstis. What does everyone else think? I know some of our folks will be going to Bear Lake next week, is the 23rd too soon? Thanks for the idea though Bill. What does our Commodor think?
Yuba, or navaho would be great... either way lets get something going.
I'm good for June 22-24 at Yuba. I don't want to set anything in stone till Adla gets back. She must be vacationing somewhere or awfully busy at work. Sad I couldn't do that anyway, I'm just the flunkie in the art department, Adla's our Master and Commander. Big Grin

Darick_Anderson

I think I may be able to make that one, but it is quite soon after Bear lake.

Be advised that we are having windy year up here and Yuba will blow like mad in the afternoon. We were blessed last year with the light winds we had. Remember how it blew Brit's rigging apart on the last day, but you never know tell you get there.

I had a job interview yesterday that looks promising, I will let you know. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

aaron_stokes

this month will be bad for me because of the number of clubs activities i have been committed to. i am trying to have fun this month but there is such a thing as planning for too much fun. next month would be better for me. allthough, if you guys do plan a trip to yuba or the vacinity in june, i will do my dangdest to show up. after all,.... I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!

that wasn't too mushy was it? i really want to go to yuba. navajo is by cedar city isn't it?
Quote:...Remember how it blew Brit's rigging apart on the last day, ...

had to bring that up.... :lol:
Aaron, we don't want you to have too much fun. Big Grin We could make it sometime in July but I was just thinking about the solstice (SAILstice) happening on June 21. If we have it in July I may not be able to make it depending on when my wife schedules our vacation. We have to do that before she heads back to work (school district) in August. We're still hung up on whether or not our Chinese student gets her visa. We'll know on the 11th. Adla, where are you????
I'm here!!! I am not vacationing! Work has been busy but more importantly I have been struggling to get Morgaine repaired - it isn't looking good for Bear Lake.

I WILL BE THERE - just for camping and club adventure but without the boat.

She is still upside down - I sanded for HOURS today and can tell you that I sanded previously a very long time....days and days of sanding.

The skinny is this: Her keel did not get laminated together well....I used too little glue and when I drilled the pilot holes for the screws the hole was too small and the wood actually separated ---over time this has become a problem that was exacerbated by the kevlar on her keel edge which did not allow the water to leave the wood ---

I solicited a couple of friends and we got her off the trailer and she is upside down and I have been working on her for days - I used graphite/epoxy and 404 filler on her on the bottom and it is HARD AS NAILS - meanwhile I have increased the number of screws with the proper pilot holes and epoxied her up. But I won't be done in time for this weekend ---- but that won't stop me from making the Bear Lake event. I welcome the trip and time away from SANDING. -

I just can't see myself doing a shoddy repair this time - I plan to finish the repairs and use a good two part primer and then a two part epoxy paint for the bottom. I will even add an aluminun strip just to the front part of the keel where it hits the rocks -

SO - I am hoping to be back in shape for sailstice - Whatever everyone wants to do - I support it. Yubba is nice because it isn't far for the Utah people - we can save Walker for the end of the summer - I am sure it will be windy in the afternoon - we should be prepared for that. I think Brit ought to be congratulated for trying to sail in that mad crazY wind!

a.
Glad you're OK Adla. Sorry to hear about Morgain though. She'll be as good as new I'm sure. I'm sure there'll be plenty of people to sail with at Bear Lake. Aaron, I forgot to answer your question. Yes Navajo Lake is near Cedar City. We had a great time up there last year, no motor boats and plenty of excitement dodging water canon blasts from various folks, attempted boardings by pirates, capsised canoes - great fun. I'm hoping to get up there again this year after vacation sometime. At Yuba we'll just have to get an early start and take advantage of the morning breezes before it gets bad in the afternoon. Up at 6:00 and in the water by 7:00 (just a goal) :wink: Can't wait to hear about Bear Lake. Be sure to take lots of pictures and have fun.
Pages: 1 2