BYYB Forums

Full Version: Price Check for Marine Plywood
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

I am diggin around for prices on okume.

I found a place in Ohio that sells bs1088.

3/4" - 4x8: $137.00
1/2" - 4x8: $91.00
1/4" - 4x8: $66.00

Total per plans for vacationer (plywood only) $1,757

Does that sound about in the ball park or do I need to keep looking?

Thanks,

Dave G.
Yep, i paid about $66 for my 1/4" occume, and for 21 sheets of merenti I paid about $1,400. Expensive but really good wood and finishes bright really purdy.

Brian.
I went to visit this place a couple of weeks ago http://www.hardwoodstore.com/plywood.html

Suprisingly, they had Okoume and Merranti at the same price. They will ship. Call for pricing as their website is not always current. I bought a sheet of 4x8 x 1/2" Okoume for $59.00 (That's less than I paid for Douglas Fir when I built my boat 6 years ago!).

They also sell Teak, Cypress, Mahogany and many other hardwoods. You need to call them at 1-888-445-7335 to see about availability and current pricing.
David,

CABBS is placing a group order piggy backed with an order that will have the shipping absorbed by another group. The order is for merranti not okume. Membership to CABBS is only $25 (alot less than shipping) plus you are close enough to come and enjoy some of our events (Free admission to the IX center boat show). OK this is a sales pitch for CABBS but you asked and we have a shipment comming in. Contact me if you are interested, I will have to pull the club email with the pricess on it for you if you want it.
Thanks,

Jim

Ray Frechette Jr

You might well find you could reasonably reduce scantlings going with quality Marine ply over ACX.

If I were building the boat with Quality marine ply I would forgo all fo the 1/2 inch stock replacing it with just 3/8.
Thanks guys.

I forgot to mention that the place I quoted is close enough that I was going to go over and pick it up rather than have it shipped.

Also (Jim Stimpf), I am not familiar with merranti. What are it's characteristics in comparison to okume?

When are you ordering? I just bought a truck three days ago so I may have to wait a paycheck or two.

And yes I would love to join cabbs. Do you have a web site?

Ray Frechette Jr

Merranti typically costs a fair amount less than Okoume.

It is about 20% heavier also however it has a fairly higher rot resistance than Okoume.

The color is deeper and redder than Okoume.

It is also a coarser grain pattern.

Merranti seems to splinter easier than Okkoume and once you get the splinters under your skin they burn a fair amount.
Tell me about it, i'm picking some out of my fingers right now.

Brian.
Meranti is the new name they're using (actually not all so new), for the pine that comes out of the southern far eastern countries, of the Pacific rim. Former names are Lauan, Luan, Seraya, Balau, Bangkirai, Philippine Mahogany (it is not a mahogany) and others. This wood varies dramatically in quality, color, rot resistance and panels made of it can be of dubious construction, even marked with BS 1088 when it's not even close to those standards. This is not uncommon with many plywood manufactures in that part of the world and not isolated to this particular specie(s) or wood.

This wood is the "white wood" of the far east and sold as pretty much anything they want it to be labeled as. It's not particularly strong, can check, split and these qualities can vary wildly.

All this said, if you closely examine your plywood, test for WBP glue and it has sufficient number of veneers, then you can use it on the hull of a boat. It can be a pretty wood if finished bright, though it's course grain needs to be filled and sealed. It machines well and good grades of it can be pretty tough.

Technically speaking, it is a Shorea, which has several hundred sub species. It's in the Dipterocarpaceae sub-family and found primarily in the southern hemisphere. It's color range is from a very light red and gray to a dark brownish red. Its density ranges from a weak and soft hardwood to a reasonably dense hardwood.