BYYB Forums

Full Version: Weekender - Portlights before cabin roof?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Should I do the portlights before I put the roof on the cabin, or after. If I do it before then I can easily get at both sides of the assembly. If I do it after I'm not going to mess them up when fiberglassing the cabin roof?

Anyone have some opinions one way or the other? My concern is that they look tricky to assemble solo. Also, other than Scott's use of screw-in plates, does anyone have any thoughts on a way that the portlights could be opened (becoming a porthole then I suppose) to get some ventillation?

I've finally got back to the boat again today and put in all the framing for the cabin roof. There's a long weekend coming up here in Ontario and I want to get a lot done.
I got lucky and bought 17" port holes on e-Bay for about $40 for two. They are plastic with a stainless outer trim and they open. If you go to my web site you can see them on my PC.
Quote:Should I do the portlights before I put the roof on the cabin, or after. If I do it before then I can easily get at both sides of the assembly. If I do it after I'm not going to mess them up when fiberglassing the cabin roof?

Anyone have some opinions one way or the other? My concern is that they look tricky to assemble solo. Also, other than Scott's use of screw-in plates, does anyone have any thoughts on a way that the portlights could be opened (becoming a porthole then I suppose) to get some ventillation?

I've finally got back to the boat again today and put in all the framing for the cabin roof. There's a long weekend coming up here in Ontario and I want to get a lot done.

If I were building another Weekender, I think I yould definately put them in before the cabin roof. ( at the very least, cut the holes)

kenconnors

I didnt do it that way but it makes sense. Just make sure to tape over them after so you dont mess them up while finishing.
Thanks - I'll cut the holes first then.