BYYB Forums

Full Version: Afternoon cruise around the nations capitol
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

John Kocher

I took my third cruise in the s/v Ajaqnak this weekend, this time around the nations capitol - below is a view of the Washington Monument from the Potomac River, the dome to the left is the top of the Jefferson Memorial.

[Image: wash-mon.JPG]

There is a nice set of ramps just north of national airport (jets roaring overhead every fews minutes adds to the excitement). Winds were light, but enough to get us moving, so off we went, taking in the sights from the unique perspective of the water. Five hours later it was time to pull out of the water after seeing many interesting things, among them - a former presidential yacht, a 40' power boat that looked like it was on fire (when asked if we could assist we were told the engine just overheated, but there sure was a lot of smoke), at least a dozen low flying military helicopters buzzing right overhead, the Washington Monument, the Capital, the Washington Naval Yard and a variety of wildlife.

The wind said goodbye about 1/2 way through the cruise, so we cranked up the old evinrude outboard, which worked like a champ until about 3/4's of a mile from the ramp when it overheated and quit. Up went the main and we very very slowly made our way, upstream, all the way back to the ramp. All in all a good day, with couple more items to change/improve/add for the next trip.

john k
Sounds like you had a great time. Now for that engine of yours it's an easy fix to change out the impeller and theromostat. You have to drop the foot and loosen a screw that attaches the linkage to the gear shifter to get to the impeller. There's nothing to it and I would guess it is most likely the problem. They get hard after sitting idle for a while and break apart. I found parts for mine at NAPA but being on the coast you probably have parts even easier to find. Good luck and if you have any questions about that motor send me a message and I'll try to help you out

Keith

Scott_King_Walker

There is another place to launch that is just south of the airport. It is at the Potomac Sailing Marina. I launched there several times a few years back and it was $6 each time. You turn in at the sign, and keep right. You need to go through the manned gate and pay your launch fee. The nice thing is that it is SAILBOATS ONLY.

I got lots of nice attention with my Wing Dinghy.

Hi folks, I am back, sort of.

sKw