BYYB Forums

Full Version: Oops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well funny thing, I glued up a couple deck gussets last night, thought I did pretty good. I got out there tonight to finish up and noticed the epoxy was still wet, I thought to myself, hmmm, what gives. so I unscrewed the gussets from the side and deck stringers, to clean up the mess, I got off the boat and started for the house to get paper towels, when I saw my measure of hardner from last night :roll: and I thought to myself Duh! I cleaned up the aria, and mixed the old hardner with some new resin and it all worked out.

Brian.
What were you doing, drinking the rest of my homebrew while you were mixing? Glad to hear you're working on her

Keith
Acctually, I had oral surgury that afternoon and had taken some vicodin Big Grin .
In all honesty I am sitting here right now enjoying the last of your awsome homebrew Big Grin and man is it good stuff, thank you again.

Brian.
P.S. Oh yeah i have a question my son is the manager of the paint department at lowes and he does not have 5200 i was wondering if 3M 4000 marine adhesive sealer is any good it looks close to the same?
Thank you.
Vocdin and beer is a wonderful after dinner snack, but don't have big plans on getting much accomplished (that you'd care not to have to re-do the next day).

3M 4000 has less adhesive qualities then 5200. It also stays whiter longer (before getting yellow) and has more flexibility.

If used under the waterline, it needs to be smashed under a fair amount of pressure, until complete cure to be reliable.

Lowes stopped carrying 3M 5200, for some reason, likely because Home Depot does have it. I did some experiments and testing on these types of adhesives recently, after Oyster's visit and strong comments about a PU that worked just as good for a third of the price. The results were just as he said and the PL brand of "Door and Trim Caulk" PU adhesive/sealant was more flexible then 3M 5200, but not quite as strong a bond. It survived a 30 day submersion and subsequent forced drying and resoaking, before being subjected to a strain to destruction test. It acted much like 3M 5200, but not quite as viscous and also requires clamping pressure to stay stuck on well soaked wood. If used as a seam compound, it just pulls right off in a thick, rubbery string when the wood gets wet. This is why it needs to be under pressure until cure is complete. It would be great in lapstrake seams (if well fitted), screwed together joints (like gussets, chine logs, backbone pieces, etc.) where having the clamping pressure is easy. Above the LWL it works like most any other caulk and stays white a long time.
Ahh ok, so Home depot has 5200? I could go over there on sat morning, its about an hour away but the good lumberyard is nearby there too 8)
I could use some fir 1x4's so maybe I will take the trip. Thank You Paul, oh by the way theres no way I could mix vicodin and beer I wouldn't get to redo it as I wouldn't have been able to do it the first time, Keiths homebrew is powerfull enough on its own Big Grin
So, do You think I should try and peel it out of the bow seams that I calked with it?
Brian.
If the bow seams were squeezed together, over a bead of 5200, it'll probably be fine. This is especially true of a 'glass sheathed boat that will spend most of its time on the trailer. If the 5200 was just applied like a caulking bead, then smoothed with a finger, it will possibly release if the wood gets good and wet. Again, on a sheathed boat (over the goo), then it's much less an issue. Of course this assumes the 'glass skin remains intact, preventing moisture from getting at the wood.
I'm about ready to mix up another batch soon. Not sure what I'll do to it this time but it's gonna be a wheat brew. The next batch after that will be a big one with the brew equipment I got from Ed. I'm gonna have to empty a lot more bottles between now and then :wink: That last batch I made is getting great reviews from all who have had it, but it's going fast. Maybe I'd better get started brewing.

Keith
Look Keith, if you need help generating empty bottles, I can offer my services. You mail them down (full) and I'll mail two empties back. That's a pretty good deal . . .
I'll be needing your address Paul, that's an offer too good to pass out on

Keith