BYYB Forums

Full Version: Glass cockpit bottom, cabin bulkhead and lazzerette?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I definetly will be glassing the cockpit seats, but have not decided if I would glass the lazerette, cabin bulkhead or the cabin bottom. Any thoughts?
You should glass anything that the sun and rain can get to. I say this because I have learned the hard way. The sole of the cabin needs glass because you will be walking on it. The interior bulk heads do not need glass just seal and paint. This is just my own opinion so take it with a grain of salt.
Jeff, I think you should glass the forward bulkhead that holds the mast box. Invariably water gets into the mast box eventually resulting in some rot both in the box/ the sole and the bulkhead. I have rebuilt the bottom of the bulkhead and eliminated the mast box (using a mast collar and totally open"mast box") and glassed the sole due to some rot issues around the storage box at the companion way. I wish I had glassed it all orginally. It is time and money well spent to address these issues in the build instead of later down the road.

I noticed a little rot up at the stem this season and addressed that issue last week with penetrating epoxy.

All this being said, my boat is on it's sixth season of heavy use (often left on her hook for a week or so at a time) and she is stored outside. I do cover it with a tarp in the winter, but it still gets water in it occasionally.

The more you do now, the less you will have to do later.
I glassed all external areas and have no regrets. I painted the floor and insides of the cabin with a solid white coloured deck paint/stain. I feel that it allows the wood to breathe, as opposed to incapsulating the naturally moist wood in glass. We live in a cold but very dry climate, and my boat is entering its 3rd year of life in decent shape.

Greg
I initially took the same approach as Greg, with the same reasoning in mind -- that the wood would breath and dry if it got wet. However, I live in a very humid area and that approach did not work for me. So I think Greg makes an excellent point in considering your climate.
Sounds good, I will plan on glassing all outside components. I have already painted the interior.

In light of the H2O intrusion in the mast box, I will also remove (cut out) the mast box and go with a thick collar at the deck and one at the bottom.
What is it they say in the navy?

If it moves, salute it;
If it doesn't move, pick it up;
If you can't pick it up, paint it.

:lol: