BYYB Forums

Full Version: BEAR LAKE MESSABOUT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

Darick_Anderson

I guess I will get this started Big Grin

The dates for the Bear Lake messabout are June 8-10. This one is up in Aaron's part of Utah and we would like to ask you to kindly scope out the area and give us the scoop Big Grin We are all willing and able, so lets get it started.

LIZARDS RULE!!!!! :twisted:

aaron_stokes

thanks darick, for getting the dialog started.

the plan is to meet on friday at bear lakes rendesvous beach where i will likely have a group site reserved. i need to see if there will be any fees but at this moment i am under the impression that once the group site is reserved, there are no fees for anyone who wants to participate. i need to confirm this though.

i am sure the lake is going to be low this year and while i am going to try to get my boat in the water with out the aid of a tractor for hire, it may be nessisary to use one. there is a guy next to the beach that hires his tractor out. according to phill, he charges about 20 bones to do it. ouch!
it is a good thing that a weekender only has a 12" draft! it will fit in any mud puddle.

i will check to see what other ramps we can use but as far as i know, all the best ramps are miles away or on private facilities.

if anyone wants to meet me in brigham city and caravan up, they are welcome to do so. i will be later in the day because i have to run my shop but i plan to head up at about 6:30. it is about an hour and fifteen minute trip from brigham.

i don't know what else to say....... if anyone has any questions, comments or conserns, feel free to post. it is going to be fun!
i am in a quandry here, this is the same weekend as the BEER cruise which Scott W. has invited me to join him on. however; this event is VERY close to the inlaws who live in Logan so the wife would probably be more inclined to want me to go to Bear Lake where she can visit with her sisters and their families, and maybe go SAILING!

I will have to speak with her tonight and see what her thoughts are on the matter, either way I will be sailing somewhere!

i looked up the lake and actually had third grade write a report on it today... great idea for an assignment and it looks very nice.

from what i can tell at Rendezvous Beach there are four campgrounds: willow, birch, cottonwood and big creek. the url is here http://www.stateparks.utah.gov/parks/map...ap2_bl.htm it looks like the one which has the group site(s) is willow. i called them and left a message about beaching the boats and hope to hear from them soon.

the rate for the group site is $75 per night with a one time $10 reservation fee for up to 25 people, after that it is $3 per person. Aaron, get with me before you reserve anything, depending on how the voting goes the fleet may have enough to cover the cost but that is up to the commodore (aDLa) and i think she might try to get blood from a turnip before spending any money on this montly crew :twisted:

also since it is my summer and relatives are so close i would not mind extending the dates a bit if even for just myself but of course anyone else would be more than welcome to join me for any dates i am there, if i am there.

look out Bears, the Lizards are taking over!!!!

aaron_stokes

well bill, i am all for getting support from the fleet but it would not seem right for the fleet to pay the whole bill because i am piggy packing this event with the vw gathering. i don't expect that too many vws will show up but i want the box elder bugs club to pay for at least part of it. the problem there is the bugs founds kitty is empty. i will probably be taking donations from the local members. another thought i had was that i could front the money and just devide the cost among the people that show up. or the byyb could front the money i don't care which. if 10 units are filled it would cost about 15 clams total for each payee for 2 nights.

i do think it needs to be said that my time is not going to be dominated by the vw gathering because the plan is to just hang out and when the chance arrives, show off our krouts. so i will have lots of time to sail. i have a feeling you guys will be getting a chance to show off a bit too.

depending on whether i have my new help at the shop by then, i would love to spend more time on the lake beyond the week end. i will keep that possibility opened.

and finally, if the lizzards are taking over, there goes the neighborhood! Big Grin
I'll be there saturday morning - I will leave as soon as I can friday and drive as far as I can - but I have roaches all the way through Utah so, it shouldn't be difficult to land somewhere for the night and then finish the trip in the AM!!!

YEAH LIZARDS!

a.
I need someones opinion. I've been looking at trolling motors and I'm not sure what to do. How much thrust power do I need to move the boat? I've found a 50 lb, a 46 lb, a 35 lb. so how much is enough for just occasional use? I'm so confused.
Launching is a problem at Rendezvous Beach. The guy with the tractor actually has the parks consession at the launch ramp. They have a dock, and fuel there too, but it's about a furlong out. If you are like me and need to float your boat off the trailer, you will have to take it out so far you would be flooding your vehicle to do so. If you could get enough people you could pick your boat up and carry it out. That's a possibility, but if my boat were loaded, it would probably require about 5-6 people, and they would have to carry it a ways. You could use a combination of driving out as far as possible then carry. That's probably the best bet, but that still might have some snags.

The nearest launch facilities are near Pickleville and at First Point. Each about 10 miles away. The marina at Pickleville has absolutely no water in it. Last time I tried First Point the water was too shallow for launching. If I had a low trailer it would be more possible. The best facility is at the Main State Park marina about 20 miles away. You could motor from there, but it takes a while and you probably want more than an electric. My brother-in-law has a tractor in Pickleville, but thats also about 12 miles away.

Not that many options. :roll: My suggestion is pay the money. You can leave the boats on the beach and then you only have 2 fees. (I think it's about $10 a shot).

Randy and the USA (Utah Sailing Association) goes there every year. This year they are scheduled for May 25-28, Jun 29-Jul 2, Aug 31-Sep 3. Since they mustly have catamarans I'm sure, they can walk them out. He may have other ideas about sailing here. BTW, they have always invited us to join them if you want to try some other times.
Steve, i have the 35lbs on the stripper and while it moved it along, it was not at a very fast pace at all while Aaron has a 50 on his weekender and we were going directly into the wind at a nice little clip (with the sails up it was even faster on a tack) if it were me, i would get the 50 or the 46.

aaron_stokes

i agree with bill. i would rather have more power than less. if i remember right, the difference in cost was not that much. i don't know if a 35 would do the job on a weekender in a high wind.
Steve - I am no longer using my electric motor - I WANT TO GIVE IT TO YOU - i am pretty sure it was 45 or 50lb thrust but I think you should just take it so it doesn't just waste away....i love the gas motor i have and will never go back!

a.
Pages: 1 2 3 4