BYYB Forums

Full Version: question regarding Top'sl
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys,

Has anyone experimented with a topmast on a vacationer?

In the stock form, does the hull have enough ballast to support a top'sl under sail (and maybe a jib top'sl?)

I think it would be great for days under light winds and would look good, I was just curious if anyone had tried it and wanted to know how tender the boat was in this configuration.

Thanks,

Dave G.

James Sanders

Ahoy,

Craig Gleason is the salt you want to ask about such things. He indeed topped his fine boat with such a mast and stayed afloat to tell about it. Craig also mounted a bowsprit, a bowsprit that reached almost from here to eternity.

Craig has both photos and witnesses as evidence.
Heres Craigs photo from the Nickajack messabout photos in the photo album...
[Image: normal_allfour.jpg]

Brian.
The concept is valid Dave and it works very well. What you see below is the prototype setup from last fall. I think I have sailed her 5 or 6 times with this setup. As shown the Yankee is suitable for only very light air; although, I have sailed it in 10-15 kt gusts on occasion. She will tack under those circumstances and turn until she wants to quit so you will overshoot being over powered by the Yankee and have to come back to your course. The topmast is birds mouth and too heavy to manually raise the mast. I am using a block and tackle with an A-frame and I don't like it at all. The boats that use this configuration have stays beside the mast and ours are all set back. It stresses the tabernacle tennon greatly when first going up. I am changing to a carbon fiber top mast and hopefully this will put the foot pound equation back in my favor. The tops'l shown is ripstop and you can see where it has evolved through a couple configurations. It is a bit narrow on the gaff and not long enough yet. She is mounted on and raised by a jackyard that really needs to be the full length of the sail for complete control. All in all I like the arrangement and intend to keep it on the boat. This spring she will get fine tuned and a selection of sail cloth Yankee sizes produced for various wind speeds and conditions. I kept the ballast the same as I had before ( +~370# around the mast base in the focs'l) and she seems stable enough so far. Rays exterior bulb would be better for this rig. More testing is required and a third version is not out of the question. Furlers would simplify this sail configuration immensely. A simple method of furling the tops’l on the yard would really make this simple to handle. Now for a word of warning. This is NOT a modification for the novice who has not splashed his boat or has just a few hours at the tiller. If you let it, this rig can be unstable as all hell if the gusts are strong and you are not quick on the sheets. Bud and I had the windows in the water that weekend at Nickajack and not because we wanted to. This configuration should have the center board reinstalled for complete safety although that would defeat the purpose of having the extra sails aloft. Reducing the Tops’l and Yankee sizes would preserve the looks if not the function. Bowsprit, topmast stays, increased rigging complexity, windage, and tenderness are all things that come bag and baggage with this modification. Peter would likely have a cow at this site of this rig. Your mileage may very Dave Here is another shot of her under way with winds 5-8 and gusting. Brian please put the other picture up as well. I don't have it on my work machine. Thanks
Sorry for the duplication. Thanks for putting up the extra photo Brian
KO, here it is...
[Image: fullsail.jpg]

And I must say She looks awsome.

Brian.
Oh ho, Duplication, good, good, I thought I was working my way to My Hat again, thanks for pointing that out. :lol:

Brian.
Thanks Craig,

How is the weather helm now that you have the double head-sail rig.

I know we have messaged back and forth before and you said that the vacationers have a lot of weather helm engineered into them as a safety factor for novice sailors.

As far as being quick at the helm and keeping a weather eye out for gusts, I used to race Hobie Cats and Stars and upon occasion learned the hard way.

What I am new to is sailing a gaff rigged vessel. But that will come in time.

Thanks everyone for your help and insight. This has to be by far the friendliest board that I have experienced.

Dave G.
Dave G Now that you have the info on the top sail and Yankee you might as well pick old Craig for his supper dooper modified rudder it helps the weather a lot. I think Keith has built one for his boat. I think it is a big improvement on the stock rudder. (I could be wrong, but I never have been in the past. Bud :wink:
Hehe,

I have already picked his brain for said rudder and have the file nestled away on my hard drive.

I can't wait to start making sawdust.
Pages: 1 2