BYYB Forums

Full Version: Floatation ideas behind seats?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was thinking of adding some 1/2 gallon milk jugs behind the seat backs just for some positive floatation in the event I ever capsize.

I am not sure how much positive floatation a dozen milk jugs will have, but I am concerned about them making noise and rattling around. I was considering glueing them down. I was also thinking of getting beach balls and blowing those up in the cavity.

Any ideas or is it a worthless thing to pursue?
What I am going to do, is fill ziplock bags full of packing peanuts, and tack them to a piece of foamboard behind the cockpit seats, You can get the peanuts at any postal, or shipping store, I've Saved all of My peanuts from packages for the last year to do this on my boat.
I remember someone else doing this as I have seen a photo of it, but I'm not sure who.

Brian.
pool noodles

James Sanders

Ahoy,

Closed cell foam is good, and is readidly available from either Lowe's or Home Depot. We used the pink variety for our boat. (Indeed, you might say our boat is in the pink!) Never have had any problems with our boat remaining upright and dry. But then, again, we have yet to finish and launc our boat.

Glad to hear you're thinking about safety!
Such thoughts are good thoughts!
Thanks for all the great replies. Pool noodles sounds great... I know they float well...hopefully they wont cost a lot as I picture squeezing in 5 or 6 per side.
blue foam sheets will allow a dense pack of the entire area. I have never tipped her over so can't comment of effectiveness.

Brian R Walters

I've heard of bush pilots using ping pong balls inside their floats....
After looking at the seats last night, you can probably only fit one or two noodles for each side....better than nothing. I know a noodle can hold almost 150 lbs above water, so 4 could theoretically hole up to 600 lbs. Should work. I hear these boats wont really sink anyway if it is wrighted quickly.
Keep in mind that wood floats so your boat should float on its own. The additional floatation is for all of the non-floating stuff you put in your boat like the motor and etc..

kenconnors

Jeff, youre original idea was the best, I feel. I loaded the back of my Vacationer seats with gallon milk jugs with the lids hot glued closed. If you stuff them tight there will be no noise. I used small plastic soda bottles to fill in any gaps. Think about it, there is no better flotation than air.
Pages: 1 2