BYYB Forums

Full Version: SSkip or "Open" Weekender??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

JK Kinnear

Greetings all...

It was only last week that I found Stevenson Projects online and eventually this forum...and admittedly any free time I've had since has been devoted to reseaching "backyard boats" and such. I've decided to build...only I'm not sure which one. It's between the new Super Skip or an "open" Weekender. At 6'6 and wife at 6'0, which would be the more comfortable option?? Looking at the dimensions of both, I don't get the feel that an "open" Weekender would offer more space and comfort than the new Super Skip. Thanks in advance to those who comment...and I must say that I am deeply impressed by the genuine sincerity and concern for others you all show towards one another on this board. It's one reason why I have decided on a Stevenson vs. others. Cheers.
JK, part of the decision is where do you sail? Small inland lakes, the BIG lakes, or rivers lake combinations. Will you use her as an over nighter or just a daysailer. Will you have children sailing with you. Answers to these questions will go a long way toward helping you decide.
JK Give these guys and girls a day or two for there choice. Most will suggest you build what they built. Being I get first shot I suggest the P/C for taller people,but that is my choice for everyone. Go to the Photo gallery and look some of these nice boats over. keep us posted on your choice Bud. Smile
Welcome to the board JK. Make yourself at home here and post lots of pics and messages as you build. I built a Vacationer so of course you should build one as well. Now if I were going to choose between the SSkip or an open Weekender I think I would go with the SSkip because you can built it by the plans instead of figuring out how to modify the Weekender. I would guess that the SSkip might be faster as well because it's so light and has the same sail area. Now heres the best part, you could be the first person here to build it. Not sure it that's a completly good thing or not as you won't have anyone to tell you things like station 13 is wrong. It sounds like the Stevensons are checking over the plans very well though and hopefully there won't be many errors, (I've been told there are always errors in a boat plan)
Another option if you decide to go with the Weekender is to also buy the SSkip plans and see how it's built and make your changes the same only bigger.

Keith
JK Welcome the Insanity.
I built an open Weekender. If the Super Skipjack had been around at the time it would have been the boat of choice.
If you’re gonna just day sail go with the open boat. If you want a cabin for over night and camping I would follow Bud’s advice and go with something bigger PC or Vacationer.

Karl
In a nut shell, the Super Skip Jack is a fast dayboat, the Weekender a nimble camp cruiser, the PC is a more wholesome craft (more stable and more room then a Weekender), but still a camp cruiser and the Vacationer a small cruiser, with sitting head room and some stowage space for a few days of gear and supplies (beer). Each tries to meet a different set of requirements. If you're sailing is mostly a few hours on a nice puddle, then a Super may be all you need. The Weekender, PC and Vacationer (in that order) progressively provide more stability and interior volume for extended voyaging.
I think Paul (and everyone, really) summed this up nicely. I'd suggest the SSkip, as it's going to be a bit more simple to build than the Weekender, if an open dinghy-type boat is what you want.

As to Station 13, Peter and I went over the new keel lofting descriptions a fair amount to avoid the same problems again. Hopefully we'll have a stress-free set of plans at the end of this. We'll see how well we do. We're adding more ways to verify critcal parts and make the boats come out a bit more the same. We've noticed over the years that Weekenders tend to vary a bit, and if this new boat is to be a class-racer (hopefully), we thought it'd be good to try and get them to come out the same (as much as can be expected for homebuilt machines; there's always variance, but probably not significant amounts now.)

Heading out for California tomorrow with the new hull (and Peter's sailing rig!)...

Mike

JK Kinnear

Thanks everyone for the much needed input. Regarding our "mission" with the boat...no camping or extended trips. Just something to have on the water for an afternoon. But given it's potential as a racer, I think it stands to be more versatile in it's abilities (to offer both an exhilarating ride or just a gentle day at the lake) than the Weekender of similiar size. It may be one of the first to be built and with that in mind I will certainly make a strong effort to chronicle each "chapter" during the build. Thanks again.
Yes I agree, the Super Skip is the one to build first! Yu will really enjoy the experience and even moreso if you have children who can help Dad. Happy building. Keep those photos comming. 8)
I have to say, the first Super Skipjack build would be a welcome post to follow on this forum.

I own a Vacationer, have plans for a Skipjack, and Weekender. My son wants to built a boat to sail with, or should I say against me. When his cash flow situation improves, we've looked at our plans, and the overnight camping, and ease of single handling features of the Weekender, suit him well.

I await your posts of build progress, when you start, happy building.

Greg
Pages: 1 2