BYYB Forums

Full Version: Computer Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My son and I are looking for a new computer (Dell, Gate Way or Vision). We need to know what is the recommended memory and ram that will be needed? :? :? HELP!!

Brian R Walters

...what are you gonna use it for ?....what have you got now ?...
For internet and a print server, my 'old' hp is fine: 750 MHz Pentium 3 with 320MB of ram and a 20GB hard drive.

I really love the laptop though. It's a little over a year old, a 1.6 GHz Acer with an 80 GB hard drive. It came with 512 MB of ram, which is the only thing that seems to be lacking. It would be lots for the above application though. That's easy to add later though, which I'll definitely be doing. The hard drive is plenty big enough unless I'm downloading a lot, but that can be upgraded later as well. I read recently that, this year or next, laptop sales are supposed to outpace desktop sales. I can see why, because mine has all my music on it (15 GB or so). It's also useful away from home for GPS navigation and as portable entertainment. I can plug it into the car stereo in the motorhome as well and watch a movie or listen to all my music without changing CDs. Plus it's just great to be able to sit on the deck in the morning sun with a cup of coffee and catch up on email and news.

I think most would agree that these specs are lots unless you're doing specific things like CADD or hardcore gaming. Beware of the 'extras' they try and sell you, like webcams and card readers and stuff, because that's where they make big money (like buying a car that way).

Be wary though, because 'foot-itis' exists in computers as well as boats....especially when inside the store... :lol: