BYYB Forums

Full Version: Painting with interlux? SAVE MONEY!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you are planning to do some painting with interlux brightsides it calls for a Special Thinner 216. I did a search to find out what it is and came up with nothing. I didn't want to pay $16 per qt or $44 for a gallon from Westmarine. I knew it was probably something I could get at a paint store so I kept on searching. Finally I found the MSDS info on it and it said it's 75%to 100% Xylene. I picked up a gallon of Xylene at Home Depot for $14 and it worked great. I didn't check out the other thinners but I would bet they are available without the interlux name on them as well. Pettit I would guess is the same but check it out on your own before trying it just look for MSDS sheets and it will tell you all you need to know about what the ingredients are. You might also save a few bucks ordering from www.boatersland.com They have some of the best prices I've been able to find

Keith

Brian R Walters

FWIW, xylene also works ok for cleaning up wet Sikaflex. Acetone works better but xylene doesn't melt plastic as badly. It does leave a bit of a haze that can be rubbed off when dry.
Great tip. I'm going to be painting my new Super Skipjack soon and am using Interlux. Also a friend is painting his airplane with it soon. A worthwhile note, Thanks!

Mike