BYYB Forums

Full Version: Repair Suggestions:
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all,

I've taken a good long look at the poor Weekender I've abused and evaluated her current pre-season restoration. Last fall, I managed to graze the bottom of the hull on the starboard side a good couple of feet long by a fraction of an inch, but it pierced the fiberglass leaving a knife-like slit, which in turn located a couple of voids in the plywood.

This spring when I crawled under the trailer to see just how bad it really is, that slit has caused the fiberglass to easily peel to now have an opening about 18 " wide, in order to get rid of all the bubbles etc. and get to a point where the glass is firmly attached again. It also runs almost the full length of the hull bottom.

At the time my weekender was built, I used polyester resin as I was broke ... what a pain that choice has proved to be. Anyway, at this point, I'm still not flush with funds, and won't be this season as we have a number of expensive things on the horizon that we're saving for.

What's my best course of action here? Re-apply more glass over the bad area with poly that I have on hand as a temp fix, repaint, and use lightly this summer, which is the usage I'll be able to get away with anyway. Fix the damaged area using epoxy, knowing that the whole thing is going to need to be re-done down the road with epoxy and new glass, or bite the bullet and peel the whole darn thing off, which shouldn't be that hard, buy more epoxy, and more fiberglass and do it right?

2 of the three choices I could do without cost based on what I've got on hand, but that third is what really needs done down the line. Of course, there is a fair amount of other work that needs done, but most is cosmetic and won't hinder sailing. She deserves to look her best, but this isn't a great sailing season ... don't even have a tow vehicle yet. Another expense I'm stalling on.

I'm half way tempted to just build the boat for my son, spend this season saving and repairing mine properly instead of always cutting corners, and taking him sailing on his, while he learns the ropes of sailing. That leaves Dawn and our daughter on land though most of the time, as his boat will only fit 2. With his boat, I won't need a tow vehicle, which puts off that extra expense.

Ah well, I just don't seem to know what I want. HELP. Smile

Ray Frechette Jr

My vote is to repair now with epoxy and put off total redo untill after sailing season.

I wouldn't waste the effort of polyester resin myself.

When it is time to peal back the polyester resined glass, the epoxy patch will likely be firmly attached still. I would just fair it back with microballoons and epoxy and glass over it.

To help ease the pain of the cost of epoxy, give Carla a callat B&B.

http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/

Cheapest epoxy I have found and it is nice stuff equal to any other I have used.
The slit repair is reasonably easy. Make sure the area is dry, which may involve a hair drier. Don't use hers, you'll never live it down and don't ask how I know this (it still hurts).

Once you're sure the area is real dry, heat the area with the hair drier (again) to warm up the wood and 'glass. You can insert wedges and stuff to hold open the delaminated 'glass during this warming process. While everything is warming up (target hot enough to make your hand uncomfortable, but not burn you - about 120 degrees max) mix up some epoxy (don't use poly). Turn off the hair drier (wait a few minutes) and wet out the area, being sure to get it wedged under the cloth, in the voids, lather it up good with unthickened goo. Immediately mix up some new goo, but thicken it up until it's like peanut butter with cab-o-sil or similar. Now smash this thickened goo into the repair area, trying to get it well under the cloth (as best as you can) and slightly overfilling the gash(s). Now you have goo trying to drip all over your floor, so take a piece of thin plywood (1/4" or thinner), wrap it with a piece of clear plastic sheeting (painter's drop cloth) or clear plastic packaging tape and wedge this directly under the repair. This may require some fore thought and planning, so you have a few lengths of 2 by stock or something to wedge the covered ply against the bottom of the boat and the floor. Wedge it lightly, it will save you much finishing effort in the end, trust me. You could try to fit the removed piece(s) of cloth back in, but I wouldn't bother, just be liberal with the thickened stick-em.

Wait until you're sure the goo has kicked off, but isn't cured, then remove the plywood. You'll have a dead nuts smooth surface, that matches the bottom of your boat. If it's a little proud (standing off the surface a bit) then this is the time to knock it down with a cheese grater (don't use hers, buy a Sure-Form, again don't ask) or similar. Sand and paint.

This fix will make that area pretty bullet proof. Don't worry about adding more cloth, you'll just have to fair it in and all the mess that comes with that. If it's as you describe a gash that was let good for too long, then the additional cloth will not help much, but will add considerably to your repair efforts.

Boats are meant to be used, only the rich can have Bristol anything. Butter it up with wood butcher's friend (thickened epoxy) and take your family out sailing. The weather is getting warm and she's calling for her master and builder to splash her for a good romp in the wet stuff. It sounds like you need it as much as she and you family. Go wet her bottom, you'll get around to the other stuff eventually.

kenconnors

I agree. Patch her up now, get sailing. Youre not going to be inspired to fix her right if youll be working on her through the sailing season only to have her sit again thru another winter. Enjoy her now, get serious about the repairs in the fall/winter. Maybe you could re-do her in stages so it wont be so daunting or expensive. Maybe just replace the polyester up to the waterline and see how the rest holds up. Im not sure, Ive never dealt with polyester. Good luck.
Here's my 2 cents, last year Keith Shergold had some damage on the keel of his weekender. The water had wicked up into the forward hatch floor area. We drilled some holes from the top into the keel, placed a interior car warmer (you should be able to find one in Michigan) in the area closed the hatch. In 24 hours the wood was dry as a bone, and ready for the next step.

We mixed a batch of epoxy made by Industrial Formulators, that is the consistency of water. We poured in into the drilled holes, and allowed in to fully cure a couple days. The result is an almost petrified wood in the keel, that will not soak water any more. We fibreglassed the keel, and painted in up. Thais might work for you Stuart.

As the others have said, patch her up, and enjoy the sailing season.

Greg
Stuart:

I'm going to express a bit of a contrary view from my own perspective of limited funds and growing children.

I'd suggest patching the bottom with polyester for now - not necessarially as a long term solution, but mainly to keep things from getting worse. And keep in mind, just like me, you didn't build an heirloom to pass on to future generations. I'm planning on beating up my Weekender (if I ever get it launched) and hoping it lasts at least until I get bored of it (read short attention span ;-) )

If you do get the boat fixed, you'll still be on the hook for an improved tow vehicle as you had also said which will dig pretty hard into the family finances.

On the other hand, your son is young and interested NOW. Knock together his boat and go have some fun. It won't be long before he turns into a surly teenager who won't want to spend time with you.

Just my 2 cents - good luck with whichever path you choose to take.
Stu take a kook at the following link.

http://www.fgci.com/

I have been using their products for years now without a failure. Compare this to epoxies in the local area and see if there is any savings. For boats you should use the 2:1 however, in your climate with the cool summers you can get by with 1:1. I know it is way cheaper then Wests, not that Wests is a bad product. It is not, they are just prouder of it than I am. If you are going with epoxy in the future it only makes sense to use it now. If not use what you have. Just don,t fill it with bondo.
I used Fiber Glass Coatings Inc. (FGCI) products for years, in fact I get my special, proprietary super slow stuff from them. They have several different kinds of epoxy resins from 1:1 through 5:1, each having specific qualities. Their catalog describes what each is intended to do. Their staff is quite knowledgeable and can help you through any issue you might run into.

I will say that their products do take some epoxy experience to use, they don't come with cute little pumps, which can be handy to some. Some of their hardeners (which they properly call activators) can cause reactions in those folks that are particularly sensitized to epoxy.

I highly recommend them for experienced epoxy users, but not the beginner.
Paul I think FGCI epoxy is OK for a beginner if they take the time to talk over their situation with the tech support guys. That is how I started using their epoxies. Care must be exercised with the ratios for the 2:1 and up but 1:1 is very forgiving of off ration mixing. I see they price has gone up: however, they are the best buy I have found. Plus for you and I the shipping is near to nothing.
Thanks guys for all the feedback. Gives me something to think about. I hadn't even considered a all epoxy no glass approach. That will surely take care of the voids in plywood issue as well, since they won't be reachable anymore.

Andrew, you and I are two of a kind. How's your weekender coming anyway?

As to the tow vehicle, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for the uber bargain that will last 1 to 2 sailing seasons at most for now, and getting something better in another year or so. Ideally, something already with a hitch, since that costs money too. Smile

Ah well, I've got the mess scraped clean, I'm down to good adhesion with the existing cloth, i'm feathering it down to wood, and I'll see what I can do to make it good to float. I'll keep you posted.
Pages: 1 2