BYYB Forums

Full Version: Vancouver Island
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
is the feature in Cruising World this month.... it's a good read, worth picking up.

Brian R Walters

I'll have to pick up the issue. Cape Scott (northern tip)is an AMAZING place to camp. In 1989, while on a driving course in the Canadian Forces, we drove from Nanaimo to Port Hardy (north up the highway) where we left the pavement and spent six days driving logging roads before seeing pavement again. I'm sure we drove every inch of gravel in the northern half of the island. Long Beach (west coast) is an incredible place to watch winter storms. A lot of surfing there in the winter as well. I definitely wouldn't want to be caught sailing the "outside" in winter - NOT the place for these boats ! My wife and I have always wanted to spend Xmas at Long Beach in the motorhome. We actually live right across the strait from Nanaimo. The island is a great natural breakwater that gives us a HUGE sailing "playground". The fact that it'll turn a potential tsunami into a swell is just,well, swell. Sorry.
The southern tip is pretty populated (by BC standards) but Victoria is a great place to be a tourist.
It's on my list to cruise. I spent some time on charters in Puget Sound but we never got that far north.